Ir al contenido principal

Fourth task: My patients are dying. But it’s their right to keep going.


My patients are dying. But it’s their right to keep going



Background information:
>Carleen+Taylor:
"Our beautiful 22 year old son was diagnosed with colorectal cancer.  Stage 3. 5 months later his docs gave up on him. He wanted to continue fighting.  We were then going to move him to another hospital for treatment. Before dischargeing him they did a pain procedure. Proper precautions not taken and he aspirated   He lived on a ventilator for 7 weeks before passing from complications of the aspiration.  Had his docs not given up
on him he may still be here.  They just abandoned him when the going got tough.  You don’t do that to a 23 year old"
Cancer is an unpleasant way to die, my mother said if she knew the the end would be so hard she wouldn't have stuck around so long. But at least it usually provides enough time to choose another way out. I hope I don't become so incapacitated by dementia or other illness that society prevents that"


An argument:
>bhaines213:
"I'm glad that Dr. Chan honors the rights of patients who want to keep fighting until the end. They have the right to try everything reasonable available if they think that a new treatment might work or at least give them extra time"

A disagreement:
>Amy Jones Chapman:
"I believe it is malpractice.  One of his patients died in the ICU of a brain bleed.  Brain bleeds are caused by chemo.  By withholding the truth, by not stopping treatment, he may have killed his patient sooner.  He certainly robbed them of a pain free death in hospice"

Point of view:
>bhaines213:
"I hope that he also supports the death with dignity laws that are passing in some states. When a patient accepts that the treatments aren't working and the end is inevitable, lessening the suffering shouldn't be the only other option. Patients who are ready to end the suffering and end their lives surrounded by the people and things that they love shouldn't be hampered by the state or by their doctors"

A conclusion:
>Thormon:
"Everybody dies. (...) I believe that humankind is approaching the apex of existence and it will be all downhill from here until extinction"


From:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/my-patients-are-dying-but-its-their-right-to-keep-fighting/2018/08/24/487c71ba-809a-11e8-b660-4d0f9f0351f1_story.html?utm_term=.2bd8a2c4a293

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Thinking about "My patients are dying. But it’s their right to keep going"

Patients right to keep fighting This article got me! It was really hard to go through it, I felt as if the writer were talking to me, I couldn't stop thinking about one of my grandparents suffering from a terrible disease. It was pretty obvious doctor was totally in agreement, but at the same time he was totally scared for his patients suffering: " This leaves me in an uncomfortable state: caught between my medical recommendation to pursue less aggressive care and my patient’s primal desire to rid his body of cancer " But even though for doctors, it is difficult to accept the different changes and the aftermath that chemical procedures can make: "She is only 34 years old, but after two rounds of chemotherapy, her youth is steadily leaving her ." It is sad knowing that people are suffering from these terrible diseases just like Cancer, but the worst of all is knowing that sometimes treatment is worse than illness itself, a clear example of agreement on...

Why I decided to be a teacher

My name is Laura Lizeth Rubiano Vargas, I am 20 years old. I was born in May 1, 1999; I was born in Aipe-Huila, my parents are Zoila Patricia Vargas Puentes, and my father is Gerardo Rubiano Rubiano. I have 1 little sister her names is Melissa Rubiano Vargas, I also have 2 stepsiblings, my oldest brother is Amilkar Rubiano and my oldest sister is Adriana Rubiano, I do not have pets but in my house we have a little bird and its name is "the Solitario", I live in Neiva and sometimes I travel to Aipe to spend the weekend with them. I am currently in 8th semester of Degree in English at the Surcolombiana University, I have a 4.02 cumulative, I decided to follow this career because when ai was younger I had amazing moments in my school, I remember that my English professor was very sweet and very good when teaching; i decided to teach other people because I love seeing in their eyes when they feel happy because they understood the topic just reviewed., I love seeing them practic...

seventh week

  APPENDIX 3: POST OBSERVATION STUDENT TEACHER’S SELF-EVALUATION FORM (Journal) Name: ______ LAURA LIZETH RUBIANO VARGAS_____ ____________________  Date: ____ 24/10/19 __ Write a reflection about the classes you oriented this week (bear in mind the following aspects: what you planned , what you did , and what you would do differently if you were to teach your lessons again). Give examples and descriptions of those situations that, in your view, are relevant to your learning experience . In this new week I taught class to first graders, I can say that my skills for planning classes have developed a lot more, on week number 5, I had some problems with the plans I had made, but I feel way more satisfied this week because I can surely say that the goals I proponed were successfully achieved, kids had more fun than on the fifth week because this week activities were more dynamic and more didactic, I had promised myself that I will try to at least include 2 ...